Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Riding down the road

Returning from visiting an old friend who was a triathlete, I thought about how I am fearful of mounting my bike bacause of my artificial hip and my recently repaired rotator cuf. One on one side, one on the other. I flashed riding an adult tricyle;my traveling companion thought it was a good idea too. My vision of a trike was slightly distorted. I think it came from going to a circus when I was a kid and seeing clowns peddling around a ring on a trike that was a large version of a kid's trike. So I envisioned a clown's trike. I was a little disappointed when I saw what an adult trike looks like on the internet. It's so...pedestrian;you have to look twice to see that is different from a bicycle. Now I have to find a local dealer that has one in a catalog that will support my weight.
After I get one, I have to dedicate myself to riding it through the fall months and on dry days in the winter.

That was written a year ago. The only riding down the road I have been doing is behind the wheel of a subaru. Take that back This week I'm driving a monster dodge durango. Today I walked about a mile in town and on the beach. The knees continue to deteriorate. Maybe I can build the muscles a bit and salvage some better movement of the limbs. We'll see. The air here is conducive to breathing freely. Yesterday we rode down West rd to Westhead in Lockeport where there are 90 acres of seaside on a point into the ocean. If I win the lottery...

No comments: